Current Most Popular Post

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Review - Goulet Pens Sample Ink Vials

Hello guys and gals! I just ordered some of these great little sample ink vials and I just had to do a mini review of them! They work extremely well at what they're made for. If you've been looking for a sample bottle to mix inks, or get the last drop out of your bottle then look no further than these! Remember to click on the pictures for a large view of them! Let's get started then:


So here's the bottle. I have one empty one and one filled with Private Reserve Sherwood Green (an awesome color by the way!). They hold approx. 6 ml of ink when filled to the top.

As you can see in this photo the threads of the cap are very secure. Apparently, earlier versions of this bottle had a very small screw section on it making them less secure than this version.

Here's an Esterbrook J (full-size) in the bottle. notice how the bottom is conical! This means you can suck the very last drops of ink out of this sample vial!

Really the only critique I could level against these awesome bottles is this: The mm markings (a very handy feature) can't be seen unless light reaches them from the backside of the bottle. Here in the picture you can see what I mean. The 5mm mark only shows because I'm tilting the bottle and letting light come through the back side. This is mainly due to the fact that the marking are imprinted inside the bottles. Aside from that these bottle are a must have for any FP enthusiast! 

I ordered mine from Goulet Pens which I highly recommend you order from also. They have great prices and excellent customer service! With your bottles they also include sticker labels so you can label your inks!

Please, leave me a comment below and let me know what you think of this review and this product!

Regards,
777 - Tyler Dahl

9 comments:

  1. A nice review with great pictures. I appreciate the kind words and the link as well :) The vials that I used to have not only had different threads, but also were not conical on the bottom and had no markings for measurement at all. These vials are the absolute best I've found for sampling ink. Thanks for showcasing all the highlights! As for the markings, well, I guess nothing's perfect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most welcome for the review and the links Brian! Glad to have you here on my Blog! Yes, nothing is perfect so I always look for the happy medium in things. So far though, these are definitely the best sample vials I've ever used. Love the conical bottom and clear plastic. They're great!

    Regards,
    777 - Tyler Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I save all my vials reverently! I just haven't had the opportunity to use them on anything yet but they will come in handy for mixing inks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, I enjoy mixing inks though I've only done it a few times. It's fun to make your own colors.

    Ink sample vials have many uses. Someone suggested using it to ship nibs in. Great idea!

    Regards,
    777 - Tyler Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I believe TWSBI ships their nib units in something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning on getting a TWSBI soon. Just need to save up some $$$. Really nice pens at a price almost anyone (except me ;) ) can afford.

    Yes, I think I saw a picture of one of their nib units packed in something like this.Regards,777

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been ordering from Goulet Pens for about two years. Although we have never met F2F, I feel as if Brian is a friend. He and Rachel deliver some of the best customer service I have ever known. The vials are perfect for their intended use. If you need more visible markings (say, if you are making exact mixes), use an industrial Sharpie.  http://tinyurl.com/22tgfrvhttp://tinyurl.com/22tgfrv

    ReplyDelete
  8.  that link seems broken

    http://tinyurl.com/22tgfrv

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was fortunate enough to be able to meet Brian and Rachel in person at the DC pen show last year. Very nice people!

    I always enjoy giving them my business.

    Regards,
    777 

    ReplyDelete