Current Most Popular Post

Sunday, July 24, 2011

A new and improved Esterbrook nib changing tutorial!

So, a while back I made an older tutorial for changing Esterbrook nibs. While it was a nice tutorial and all, it had some little flaws with it. After talking with a friend of mine, I decided to do up a video tutorial, making it even easier to explain and understand! Here you go:


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Let me know if there is anything else to change on it. Just drop me a comment below and tell me what you think. :)

Regards,
777 - Tyler Dahl

4 comments:

  1. This was nice for those who didn't get the pictorial.  What I'd like to know is--how do you separate the nib & feed if you have new nibs to use?  Or is that one of those things that only pros like yourself can do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Separating the nib and feed isn't to hard, if you've got the tools and knowledge. You need:
    - a knock-out block
    - knock-out pegs
    - section pliers
    - an empty Esterbrook section, without a sac on it
    - a good, hard/flat work surface

    It involves knocking them out of the retaining collar, by screwing the collar into an empty section. Then re-inserting it is a matter of getting a good grip on both nib and feed, keeping them from twisting/mis-aligning, and pushing them back into the collar without cracking it.

    It sounds more complex than it is I think. :)

    Regards,
    777 - Tyler Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeeeeaaaaahhhh.....well since I don't have any of those tools and I think this is going to be a lot harder than just screwing a nib/feed in or out, I guess I'll leave that to you.  Of course, you could show us how it's done in a video, but I still think I'd rather trust the job to someone who's done it more than once.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... That might indeed make an interesting video. If I ever get the spare time, I might go and make one. :)

    I've got quite a few "to-do" reviews stacking up right now...

    Regards,
    777 - Tyler Dahl

    ReplyDelete