Current Most Popular Post

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Weekend Reads 5/19/12

Well I'm back again with another Weekend Reads! I've got a bunch of well selected articles for you to read this week, along with our Q&A section.

Whenever you get the chance, grab some coffee and enjoy this week's reads!



Once again, no podcast this week. I can't seem to get enough time to do it these days. This however leads me to an important announcement I must make:

In the month of July, around the 20th, I will be leaving to Texas for 9 weeks. I will not be able to do any blogging, or pen repair during this time. Bear with me, as I will provide you with more details in a few days with a full blog post.

But hopefully this will help explain why I've been so busy recently and haven't had much time for blogging.


Links of the week: Top picks from my favorite blogs and forums:

#1: My favorite thing I found recently, though not this week, was the Brian Goulet's overview of the TWSBI Vac700. He really nails it, showing off every detail I wanted to see in an overview. If you're still holding your cash tight, and are waiting for some initial reviews and info before purchasing, definitely check this video out.

#2: Fellow Blogger "Peninkcillin" shows us a breakdown of the TWSBI 530, and all it's parts. Well written, to the point, and a fun educational article. Check it out!

#3: I've been waiting for this for a while. :) Dan Smith of FPGeeks.com shows off his daily carry case of pens. I thoroughly enjoy these posts by FPGeeks, and I hope they'll continue them. It's always fun to see what pens others are carrying with them.

#4: A great FPN post for beginners looking to expand their collection, or for us "experienced users" to share some information and ideas! 




Let's move on to the Q&A Time:




Q: "Care and feeding of eyedroppers: How to clean, how to apply silicon gel and how often?"


A: Well, eyedroppers on the whole are very easy to maintain. One of their main benefits actually. Here's what I'd recommend to keep your ED pen in tip-top shape:



  • First, re-apply silicone grease every time the threads look "dry". When you apply silicone grease, you should be able to to see a little slick area. As soon as it's dry, it's time for more. On average, I think once a month would be fine for an average user. But honestly, most ED I've used required no silicone grease. :)
  • To flush it out, a bulb syringe might help. A bulb syringe is, well, rather hard to explain, so here's a photo of one. Just put it in the section of the pen and squeeze water through it repeatedly till it comes out clean. Same with the barrel - really "swish" the water around to make sure it gets clean.
  • Aside from that, there's not much more to do! Perhaps wipe it down with a soft rag every once in a while to keep it shiny. :)

Q: "When is a pen a vintage pen and when is it a modern pen"

A: This is an interesting question, and something I've often pondered myself. After thinking about it for a while, here's my thoughts on what a vintage pens vintage:
  • First, the pen definitely needs to be out of production. If it's still currently being manufactured, it's not vintage.
  • The pen should be around 25-30 old or more.
  • And/or - The pen should be obviously designed and styled for a different time period. You know, Estervbooks just have that "retro-i-ness" about them. :)
For what makes a modern pen modern, that's much easier:
  • So long as it's currently being produced/manufactured, I'd say it's a modern pen.
  • And if it's 10-15 years old, I still think it could be modern.


Lastly, the Blog Forecast!


  • The first thing I'd like to do is a review of the TWSBI Vac700. I still have to take photos, and put the whole thing together, but my desire is to have it ready by Monday or Tuesday.
  • I'm going to do a quick overview of the graph-paper Tidbit notebook. I reviewed the lined version here, and I thought it'd be good to take a quick look at the graph version.
  • If I'm really feeling in a blogger mood, I might do another post and review a notebook. We'll see how busy my week turns out.
And that's it for the blog forecast.




And that's all for this week's Weekend Reads! I truly hope you enjoyed this.

Do leave me a comment and let me know what you think of the links of the week and the Q&A!

No comments:

Post a Comment